I love brunch. My favorite meal by far…so many choices! Waffles are one of my favorites =)
These waffles are yummmmmy! I have a go-to recipe that I’ve used many-a-time, but I wanted to try out these ones and I wasn’t disappointed in any way. They’re like everything good from a lemon poppyseed muffin, but in waffle form.
Lemon Poppyseed Waffles (Adapted from epicurious)
* 1 cup whole wheat flour
* 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
* 3 tbsp brown sugar, 2 tbsp granulated sugar
* 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 2 large eggs
* 1/4 cup sour cream
* 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
* 1/4 cup mostly filled with applesauce, then topped with vegetable oil
* 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1. Whisk together first 7 ingredients. In a separate container/bowl, whisk together the liquid ingredients (rest of the ingredients)
2. Pour liquids all at once into solids. Whisk just until mixed. Let sit at least 15 minutes.
3. Set up your belgian waffle maker (or regular one. I have a belgian one and it’s glorious) according to the instructions. I put oil on both sides just to make sure it doesn’t stick (and because I substitute out the butter in the recipe, so this makes them a little crispier). Cook until your liking – Some people like waffles soft. I like my waffles nice and crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.