I still had a couple zucchinis kicking around, so I thought it’d be a good time for round 2 of baking with zucchini! This recipe is tasty, moist, and healthy too. I sent it off with Joffre for the crew doing emergency medicine. I think they enjoyed it =)
Zucchini Bread with Dried Cranberries (adapted from twopeasandtheirpod.com)
• 1 3/4 cups shredded zucchini
• 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
• 1/3 cup canola oil
• 1/3 cup applesauce
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 2 large eggs
• 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
• 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
• 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2-3/4 cup dried cranberries
• Cinnamon/sugar to sprinkle on top
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan with cooking spray, and set aside. Grate zucchini on the large holes of a box grater (to yield 1 3/4 cups); set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together sugars, oil, applesauce, vanilla, and eggs.
2. Into a small bowl, sift together flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and salt. Add flour mixture to egg mixture, and stir to combine well. Stir in grated zucchini and dried cranberries.
3. Pour batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mixture- (if you wish, I didn’t think it needed it!). Bake until a toothpick inserted in centre of loaf comes out clean, about 40-45 minutes. (It took about 50 minutes for me) Cool in a pan 10 minutes – invert onto a wire rack, then reinvert, top side up. Cool completely before slicing.
Calories: ~160 calories/slice (slicing 13 slices)